The Historical Background of Masjid Kudee Luang
This community, also known as Shit’ite Moslems, began to construct their own permanent places of worship on the western bank (Thonburi side) of the Chaophraya River. Both the constructions and religious rituals were placed under the patronage of King Rama l.
A few years thereafter the Moslem community became more consolidated as they continued their religious rituals. At the same time King Rama l created a new city known as Krungthep and He re-introduced the protocols and system of the Ayuthaya period. He also re-called those who had been high ranking officials during the Ayuthaya period to again serve his court.
The Phraya Chularajamontri controlled
the Trade and Finance of Siam which strengthened the Moslem community known as
KudeeChaosen (also known as KudeeLuang, Kudee Bon and Banbon). The KudeeChaosen
settled nearby Wat Arun(the Temple of Dawn) at the mouth of Klong Mon(Mon
KudeeLuang meant the place of worship granted by King Rama l and placed under His patronage. Kudee Pak Klong Mon meant the place of worship located at the mouth of Klong Mon which connected to the Chaophraya River.
Kudee Bon meant a place of worship of higher standing than the other places of worship.
The first Kudee Luang became the most important area for the Shi’ite Moslem (Kheak Chaosen) communi ty and remained so for some 150 years until the change of the Monarch’s position under the Democratic Revolution of 1932. In 1933 the Government ordered that the KudeeChaosen be relocated to an area on Prannok road in the Bangkok Noi district lasting until the present time, as they wanted the land for the establishment of a naval base.
The Shi’ite Moslem place of worship has their own prominent ancestor such as ChaophrayaBovornrajanayok (Sheik Ahmad), the Persian trader who arrived by sea at Ayuthaya circa 1600 (the latter period of King Naraysuan) became a large and wealthy trader who served the King’s court specifically during the reign of King Song Dhrama and continued the trade with the West until he reached the highest position as advisor to King Court at the time of King Prasatthong.
His descendants gained the trust of the King’s court in the position of Chula Rajmontri who controlled the Finance, Trading and leadership of the Moslem society in the Kingdom of Thailand until the time of the Great Change in 1932.
List of Leaders or Imams of Masjid Kudee Luang
Chularajamontri (Konkaew) King Rama 1
2. Phraya Chularajamontri (Thuen) King Rama 2 – 3
3. Phraya Chularajamontri (Naam) King Rama 3 – 4
4. Phraya Chularajmontri (Sin) King Rama 5
5. Phraya Chularajamontri (San Ahmadchula) King Rama 6
6. Phra Chularajamontri (Kasem Ahmadchula) King Rama 6
7. Phra Chularajmontri (Son Ahmadchula ) King Rama 7
9. Haji Krasae Chularatana King Rama 9
10. Mr. Staporn Suksamran King Rama 9
11. Mr. Satienrapab Suksamran (Shiek Muhammad Ali) King Rama 9
Masjid KudeeLuang or KudeeLuang
The original was
located on the western bank of the Chaophraya River at the mouth of Klong Mon (Mon
Canal). This place was called “Kudee Bon” or “Ban Bon” at the early
Rattanakosin period of King Rama l. The King granted the land and gave his
patronage to the religious place of worship to Phraya Chula Rajamontri
(KonKaew) the son of Phraya Chula Rajamontri (Shen).
He brought the Shi’ite Moslems of his previous community to settle in this area until the constitutional change in 1933. The Government under the leadership of Field Marshal PorPiboonsongkram wanted to combine this land with other to use as a naval base. The community was relocated to a new area located on Prannok road, Banshanglor sub-district until the present time.